Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Roller Coaster...General Thoughts

I’ve been riding the ups and downs of this cancer-thing for some time, now. Most of the time I am focused on simply kicking the crap out of it, and that’s a good thing. Other times, it’s hard; my friend Bill calls it the Genie in the Bottle…every once in a while, it gets out. I took yoga a while ago, and it has been helpful for me to rely on something I learned in the post-workout meditation session. Sometimes things crop up: bad thoughts, loneliness, fear. In meditation, you’re taught to acknowledge those things, but not to give them value. “Oh, there’s a thought. Interesting. Moving along…” As strange as that sounds, it’s really helped.

Also, I wasn’t sleeping real well. Four to five hour nights were becoming more common. I slept late on Saturday and Sunday, and I went to bed early last night. I’ve found my mood and energy level have improved drastically, and I am trying to go back to a “normal” sleeping pattern.

Last, I started working out again (I'm going to keep a journal at Beginner Triathlete). I cut the lawn and did some weedwhacking on Sunday. I know that’s not a workout for most people, but it was, sadly, pretty tiring for me. Still, it felt good to get out and get moving, to get the blood flowing.

On Monday night, I did supersets of pushups, squats (with no weight other than body weight), chair dips and Swiss Ball Crunches. It was actually pretty pathetic, and I couldn’t even finish the third set. Two months off, surgery and cancer have put me pretty much back to square one. Not that it’s a bad thing, in all honesty. I’m just going to take it slow, and build from where I am now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard it said that insomnia is God's way of giving you more time to pray! (or to learn a lot about Rodeo). Email me...I'm probably up too.

Lieutenant Dan said...

You just need to "be like Spike!" :)

FishrCutB8 said...

Just so I'm not like Tigger.

GET YOUR HEAD IN THE GAME!!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING??? DO I NEED TO REMIND YOU THERE ARE FOUR QUARTERS IN A FOOTBALL GAME?

Freakin' Eagles are killing me. I thought Tigger was a good luck symbol, but clearly he pulled a Randy Moss and cut out early. I'll be speaking to him later...

You won't catch me quitting early...or ever.

Redlefty said...

Muscle/CNS memory is a beautiful thing. You won't be a square one for long.

FishrCutB8 said...

Love your CNS and it will love you back...Thanks for the reimnder. Right now my triceps are killing me.