Friday, August 19, 2005

My daily commute....

I was reflecting on this as some people I know have been commuting or just riding. They've been buzzed, spit on, cursed at and had things thrown at them. I have been so much more fortunate. I still don't get why people think it's okay or cool to mess with cyclists in this way...

I get yelled at every once in a while. I try to think fast and come up with something helpful. A guy in a truck yelled at me this week. As he drove past, I saw he had Marine stickers in his window, so I shouted "Semper Fi!" Might make him think next time, might not...

I got run off the road by a guy pulling out from the left about two weeks ago, so I just yelled "Hey!" He had to stop at the light and I pulled up behind him and said, "Watch the cyclists, please!" in a loud voice. The light turned green and he went through it, then pulled over to wait for me. I'm thinking "Okay, let's see what this idiot wants to do" (I'm not built like your average cyclist: I'm 6 feet tall and go about 195 lbs). I pull up next to him and he rolls down his window....and starts....APOLOGIZING! "Hey man, I'm really sorry I didn't see you back there...."

We had a nice chat and I told him how cyclists have to ride on the road because it's illegal over a certain speed to ride on the sidewalks. He was totally cool and then we went on our separate ways. As he passed me the last time, he gave me a wide berth and a wave. I'm fairly certain he'll keep an eye out for cyclists next time...I'd appreciate it if you would do the same. Thanks.

No comments: