Sunday, January 17, 2010

Grace...

I heard something that made me think, today. In church, they were talking about how the world has so much more and that the world is simply better at things than Christianity. If you want music, the world's is better, if you want art or writing, the world's is better. The world is even better at taking care of people and funding projects for people in need...

The only thing that Christians can offer, and do better than what the world can, is grace, the grace that was extended to us by God. We can become, in the words of my friend Vern, a conduit for God's grace. How much better might the world be if we focused on the extension of that grace to other people? How much better might my world be if I did that?

I love this video, Jessye Norman singing at the end of a four-hour rock concert in tribute to the 70th birthday of Nelson Mandela. The crowd of nearly 80,000 people is screaming for more Dire Straits when Jessye comes out. In an interview with Bill Moyers, she said as she sang the song, it was as if the crowd remembered why they were there.



May you have grace in your life, and bring grace to the lives of others...

1 comment:

Leigh said...

Beautiful. Both song and voice.

Sorry about your bursitis. That's teh suxxor!

I just got A Soldier of the Great War in my mailbox. I'm looking forward to reading it. I've got a couple of library books to finish first, but I'm looking forward to Soldier after your review. :)