Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Broadening and Improving One's Vocabulary....

It's football season for real now. Yes, my beloved Eagles are out of it, but that doesn't mean there isn't going to be some incredible games happening. That having been said, I can't help but notice some things about my favorite game, and more specifically, the people calling it. A couple of thoughts.

1) Eem is not a word. It's "him" as in "they gave HIM the ball" NOT "they gave eem the ball". I'm really not sure when or where this started, but I suspect it's the same linguistic charlatans that continue to try to pawn off tigers as "taggers".

2) Special. Thank you John Madden for this one. "He's going to be a SPECIAL player." "Brett Favre is really a special football player." You've beaten, trampled and dragged that poor word through town on a rope attached to seven horses so many times that whenever I hear the word special I realize we are quickly coming to the point where EVERYONE will be special, which of course will mean no one is.

3) It's a football game. We get it. You can stop inserting the word "football" (and for that matter the phrase "this league") into your conversations. When a guy makes a great play, you don't need to say, "That's going to be a turning point in this football game." We know what freakin' sport we're watching, if for no other reason than the announcer didn't say, "What a magnificent golf shot." Just stop it. Seriously.

4) Bryant Gumbel.

Listen, I realize John Madden and the other clones who call the NFL, and sports in general, probably don't read my blog, but if anyone out there can get them this message, I'd really appreciate it.

Now, since I'm a positive-thinking glass-is-half-full kind of guy, I leave you with this (the hit at :29 is special!):

1 comment:

Fishmagic said...

You need to get out and train. : )