Monday, July 20, 2009

Why Do You Do It?

I've been riding more and more. The other day I shambled through the door, a disheveled mess, and Mrs. Fish asked me why I do it. I wasn't really sure how to answer, having just ridden nearly 50 miles and arriving home cramped, somewhat dehydrated, completely blasted and in a state where the only thing I wanted to do was put my head in the ice chest in the freezer. It was a question I probably should have asked myself, but I didn't.

Until yesterday. I was riding another 50 miler when everything faded away. Runners talk about runner's high, and I have been there before, a long time ago but not on a bike. I was pedalling away when I crested a hill and I became a single being, my bike, my legs, my heart, my lungs, all in complete harmony with the world around me. I could feel my soul drawing on the energy of everyone and everything around me. Everything was a part of me, I was a part of everything and I could feel my heart beating as I breathed in the world and we were all...ONE.

And that is why I do it.

1 comment:

Fishmagic said...

I do it for all the sponsorship money.