Saturday, February 23, 2008

What I Learned: Success

What I Learned This Week
I had a meeting with an insurance agent and she gave me a common-sense piece of advice that is also very wise. I asked her what the secret to her business was. She said that to be successful in business, the one thing you MUST do is return phone calls. I had never heard it so succinctly put, and I thought it was brilliant in its simplicity. I started thinking about it, and realized that is half the battle.

In order to return phone calls, you must first GET phone calls. Chris Lytle, my first sales "guru" once asked, "What is the most important thing for catching fish?" People said a hook, or the right bait, and a host of other things. The real answer, of course, is FISH. Fortunately, I am in the fish-bringing business.

The other part of what I think is important? Woody Allen once said eighty percent of success is showing up. I would add only this: Show up on time. I cannot count the number of times people have meetings with me and don't show up, or they're late and don't call. I'm not just a salesperson, I'm also a potential customer. Treat me like one. Additionally, when I show up, usually five minutes early, they're often shocked. They say with genuine surprise, "Wow, you're timely." Of course.

Quote of the Week
I was talking with a truck cap installer, another early-riser like me, and he said, "I like getting up early, getting a cup of coffee and looking at the world before they've had a chance to #%*& it up."

No comments: