Monday, February 18, 2008

Cemetery Run

Went for an early morning run today. I dressed for the cold, but it was unusually warm this morning (55 degrees!) when I stepped out. Because it's been raining and snowing, the warmer weather left us with a dense fog. I thought, correctly, with the early hour and the fact that today is a holiday for most people, I wouldn't have to worry about traffic at all. I left the house and loosened up pretty quickly.

Warmer weather also brings out the little beasties, notably skunks. While I didn't see any, I had to run close enough to an area one had sprayed that I got a little nauseous. I picked it up through there. It's amazing to me how much you can smell on an early morning run, especially since I have a fairly lame sense of smell, by most accounts. I can smell the diesel from the truck that starts up in the driveway, the fresh cut plywood in the housing development that is going up as well as the deeper smell of excavation and drywall, and the cigarette of the person who drives past me.

I run through my development and out the long road to the cemetery. It's never bothered me, running through a cemetery, but for some reason I got the heebie-jeebies today. Not a malevolent, you're-being-watched-by-the-ghost-of-a-dead-clown kind of heebie-jeebies, but more of a you're-not-alone kind of thing. The hair stood up all the way to my scalp as I ran onward.

All-in-all it was a good run. I am going to be a little sore and a little stiff for today, but it felt really good to get out and run again.

2 comments:

Redlefty said...

Did you pace pick up any through the heebie-jeebies?

Fishmagic said...

Don't you love it when your working out and you can smell a cigarette in a passing car?