Saturday, July 22, 2017

Trip West - Day 6


I crossed over the Missouri River and stopped at the rest stop, where there was a monument of Sacajawea, who guided Lewis and Clark on their journey to map the Louisiana Purchase. As a teacher, I covered this period of history with my high school students, so it was a warm reminder of that time, and that I was traveling on historic grounds.

The overlook was beautiful...

...but not without its perils.

I also liked the metal relief they had erected.

As I rode on, the scenery continued to be spectacular.

Wisconsin: My God, it's full of clouds!

I stopped into the Third Ward in Milwaukee, and threw on a proper shirt, so as not to frighten the locals.I have been to Milwaukee a couple of times, and I love this town: friendly people, clean city, and good food. I am not a drinker, but a proper beer would have been hitting for the cycle.

I found a sweet little tapas place, and tucked myself in for a fantastic meal.

Milwaukee was a nice to be off the bike, so I took a little stroll around the area.


Then I rode on, through Chicago, which was the worst riding I have ever done. Aggressive drivers, stupid and poorly marked toll roads and toll booths, and just an all out crappy experience. It was even worse because I was coming off so many wide-open spaces, and to enter into this crowded idiocy was just awful.

I got lost, turned around, and made a point to pull off and find a hotel as soon as I was past Chicago. I was knackered. I took a quick shower, crawled into bed, and fell asleep as a chorus of bullfrogs sang me sweetly to sleep.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Loved the Sacajawea monument and reliefs. The Lewis & Clark expedition has always fascinated me. One of the epic journeys of all time.

FishrCutB8 said...

It is a rather incredible sight from that promontory - you can see so much, yet recognize it's just a tiny, tiny part of what they did.