Saturday, July 01, 2017

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - Confession


I have been training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for five months and have really enjoyed it. I love the sport, figuring out the puzzle of movement, defending myself. I like the camaraderie, and I am fortunate to have a gym where people really enjoy training and each other.

But here's my confession. For the first time since I started doing Jiu Jitsu, I honestly didn't want to go this week. I was tired. Tired of getting smashed, getting my guard passed, of having younger guys and girls fly past me, heavier guys sitting on top of me, stronger people overpowering me, and more flexible people shrugging off my feeble attempts at submissions, on the VERY rare chance I even had a window into that arena. I was tired of the nicks and pains, tired of the climb up the stairs, and mostly just plain tired of not getting any better.

And, that's pretty much how I spent my week of Jiu Jitsu. Tired and reluctant. But, I still went to the gym. And, after more than a week of this, something happened today. I am not sure what the change was, but I really enjoyed it. And, I had FUN again. I am looking forward to going back next time, and here is one tiny lesson I learned: discipline takes over where motivation fails. I wasn't motivated to go, but the discipline of working out carried me through to a place where I could enjoy Jiu Jitsu again.

No comments: