Thursday, April 10, 2008

New Shoes...



I got some new shoes: Saucony Guide Grids. I went for my first run in them and found they had a little less spring in the forefoot pushoff than my Brooks. On the plus side, they are a lot lighter, and feel more natural when I land. I am more of a midfoot striker now, where I used to land more on my heel. It feels a lot more comfortable to run this way.

The cool thing is that I notice things like this now. It's a sign that i have been more in touch with my body, with my runs. I was more focused tonight, too. It may have been a function of concentrating on the new shoes, but I think I was just more in tune tonight. There is a lull in my standard 3.3 mile run, usually a little past the first mile and a half where I let my mind wander. It actually wanders whether I let it or not. Anyway, tonight it was not wandering at all. And, it was an absolutely beautiful night for a run; I wore shorts and a short-sleeved shirt for the first time this year.