Saturday, March 22, 2008

What I Learned

I went for a run today, which in and of itself is not unusual. Except when you consider it's March 22nd, the first day of Spring and it's snowing here in Pennsylvania. And that this was only my third run this month. Which is quite pathetic, but my new job is biting me in the ass. HARD!

So I was running, and I realized about one mile in that, while cereal and two oranges might be a good breakfast, wisdom consists of waiting more than twenty minutes between finishing that and beginning my run. I felt a little quesy, especially since I went out a little quick. About a mile and a half in, I REALLY felt like quitting. Just hanging it up and walking home. I feel like this a lot when it's been a while since my last run. Like today.

So I started thinking about things that might get me to the next turn, the next block or even the next step. Hopefully without throwing up. I thought a lot about Easter. It's kind of hard to think about quitting when you're thinking about Easter. I prayed for the strength to just keep putting my feet down, one in front of the other. Running is, at it's core, simply leaning like you're falling down, then moving your feet forward to keep from toppling to the ground. The farther forward you lean, the faster you have to move your feet to remain upright. I just asked for the strength to move my feet fast enough to keep from eating an asphalt sammich.

I also thought about other triathletes, and what they were doing. Some are sleeping in, and that made me feel better. Some are out and working hard, and that made me not want to quit. Some are training for their ultimate season, or race, and it made me want to start today. Seriously. And starting today does not start with quitting.

At one of my lowest points (sounds funny for a run as short as 3.3 miles) my first robin came and landed right in fron of me, right in the middle of the road. he looked at me, then alighted just as quickly. Spring is here. Easter is here. Time for rebirth. Time for energizing. Time to get strong again. i can do this. Just put one foot in front of the other, to keep from falling down.

1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
Hebrews 12: 1-3

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uniquely interesting blog; a good read.

FishrCutB8 said...

Thank you so much.

Fishmagic said...

If you want, I can start giving you a wake-up call when I get up. : )